Tuesday 21 February 2012

KILIMANJARO SANS OXYGEN

Dear Friends,

I have just returned to Moshi after a bold and daring climb of Mt Kilimanjaro sans oxygen and diamox. Together with my guide Tadhe, I reached the summit at 7:45am on Monday 20th February 2012. A personal triumph of will and endurance. Both my tour companions, Colin and Kerry Pinker of South Africa also made the summit 30 mins before me. It was almost certainly made historical because I climbed from the Park Gates to summit wearing sandals the whole way. I very much impressed the guides and porters with my achievement. Mt Kili is 5,895 mts above mean sea level, a personal altitude record eclipsing the previous record by over 1,000 mts.

The climb of Kili was so tough it ranks in the five most challenging days of my life. This along with the Shropshire 100, the Wessex 100, Mont Blanc and the crossing of the Great St Bernard Pass by bicycle.

In honour of the respect I earned, and the manner of my approach, I now bear the name 'Laiser' of the Maasai.

Best wishes to my true friends

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment