Tuesday 8 June 2010

Photos of Petra - Lawrence expedition 2010











No trip to Jordan is complete without a visit to the ancient city of Petra, the 'rose-red city half as old as time'. Petra is a lure that is impossible to resist. I reached Petra's modern town of Wadi Musa after some days cycling down the Kings Highway. After wild camping by the road for a week I was delighted to stay at the Valentine Hotel in Wadi Musa and to get a refreshing shower and to feast off the 'all you can eat' buffet dinner. The Valentine Hotel is becoming legendary amongst budget travellers. After dinner every evening they show the video of 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' some of which was fimed in Petra. I saw the video three times.
The admission ticket to Petra is not cheap. I paid £38 for a two day ticket. The Hotel ran a minibus down town to the Petra entrance gate. It is important to arrive early to beat the big crowds which descend later in the day. It is magical and memorable when you first emerge from the canyon to view the famous Treasury. As the day worn on I found the strong bright glare from the sand difficult and wearing. I had no sunglasses. One day is enough really.






1 comment:

  1. Petra is somewhere I have always dreamed of visiting - I used to drool over the Sunday Supplement ads they used to have for Voyages Jules Verne etc. I admire your spirit of adventure to travel independently.

    ReplyDelete