Thursday 10 June 2010

GRAVES of Famous People - a Hobby

The mausolem of Saladin (1137-1193). I visited this tomb in Damascus on the Lawrence trip, 2010.

The grave of Eric Arthur Blair, more famous as George Orwell. Grave at Sutton Courtney, Oxfordshire. I stopped off to visit this grave in May 2008 while on my way to work as volunteer youth hostel warden at YHA Jordans in Buckinghamshire.

Grave of Herbert Asquith, Liberal Prime Minister 1908-1916. Again the grave is in Sutton Courtney, Oxfordshire.

One of my interests is visiting the graves of famous people. I like the idea of being so close to the remains of people who once rocked the world. My trophies include Charlie Chaplin, John F Kennedy, Audie Murph (war hero and film star), Benjamin Disraeli, Shakspeare, Sir Winston Churchill, T.E. Lawrence, John Smith (former Labour Party leader), Napoleon Bonaparte, Edith Piaf, Oscar Wilde, Duke of Wellington, Lord Nelson and Edward Whymper (first man to climb the Matterhorn).

No comments:

Post a Comment