Sunday 27 June 2010

JOG-LE Reaches Ballycastle in N. Ireland 27th June

I have reached Ballycastle after an excellent day. The only sad blemish to the day being the England v Germany football result. Never mind, life holds better things.
I arrived in Larne last night at 10:20pm. Luckily I found a campsite and caravan park only half a mile from the ferry port.
In the morning I was on the road at 7:30am. I had heard great things about the Antrim Causeway coast route and today I cycled it. Marvellous.
At Carnlough I stopped at the 'Londonderry Arms Hotel'. This hotel is famous because it was once owned by Winston Churchill. He inherited it from a great aunt. I went into the Churchill room where there is a portrait hanging on the wall. The receptionist took my photo with the bicycle outside the hotel (I will post photos at a later opportunity).
The Antrim coast route north of Larne hugs the sea and is flat untill you reach Cushendall when it climbs out of the Glendun. I pushed the bike for about 45 minuets. The ride down to Ballycastle is a sweeping freewheel from the high moors.
Tonight I will wild camp on the edge of town in some sand dunes near a golf course.
Tomorrow will be a feast for the senses. I will cross the famous Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge before pushing on to the wonder of the Giant's Causeway.

If you would like to donate to JOG-LE in aid of the 'African Support & Assistance Project' please visit my charity fund raising webpage:
www.justgiving.com/JOG-LE-cycling-exped Thankyou.

No comments:

Post a Comment