Thursday 1 July 2010

JOG-LE Reaches out to history - 1st July 2010

At the library in Dungannon I learned, to my delight, that the famous Conferderate American Civil War general 'Stonewall' Jackson's ancestral home is in the village of Birches. Birches is 30 miles west of Belfast, just south of Lough Neagh. In Birches I had the good fortune to stop and ask directions from a fine lady called Stephanie. She directed me to Stonewall Jackson's memorial plaque and flower garden. I photographed the plaque. Later Stephanie introduced me to John Jackson, likely descendent of the great general. Stonewall Jackson was tragically killed by his own side accidentally.

Tonight I am staying at the Country House B & B, in Birches. I have found a little home from home here. I will post photos of the Jackson link when the opportunity arises.

1,100 kms on the clock

If you would like to donate to JOG-LE in aid of the 'African Support & Assistance Project' please visit the fund raising web page: www.justgiving.com/JOG-LE-cycling-exped Thankyou.

No comments:

Post a Comment