Monday 9 August 2010

ROSS: A DRAMATIC PORTRAIT & a hope




When I was on the JOG-LE cycling expedition I crossed Dartmoor. At the village of Moretonhamstead I stopped at a cafe to take tea and apple cake with clotted cream. I got chatting to an older couple seated at an adjacent table. It turned out that they were keen cycle tourists themselves and are fellow members of the Cyclist Touring Club. I turned the conversation to T.E. Lawrence and I discovered that they had once been to see 'Ross' starring Alec Guiness on the London stage. 'Ross - A Dramatic Portrait' by Sir Terence Rattigan CBE is a play based on the life of Lawrence. This chance encounter got me to thinking and it occurred to me that I would like to see this play for myself. The idea came to me that I should approach the Harlequin Players, in Northwich, with the proposal to make a production of 'Ross'. There are a good number of links and associations between Northwich and Lawrence. After some internet research I found that Rattigan was born in 1911. So a production of 'Ross' in 2011 would be an apt tribute. Will see what happens next.
(Double click on the pages to enlarge for reading.)

No comments:

Post a Comment