Tuesday 17 August 2010

ROMAN GASK PROJECT - Archaeology summer 2006


Roman Gask Project team. AW third from Left, Dr Woolliscroft lying on the ground, Dr Hoffman just to the right of the flag.

In the summer of 2006 I took a one-way flight to Edinburgh with my bicycle. I had made arrangments to join the 'Roman Gask Project' archaeological dig near to Stirling as a volunteer digger. The Roman Gask Project is overseen by Dr David Woolliscroft and Dr Birgitta Hoffman of the University of liverpool.

I was with the dig for five days. We camped at a farm near to the dig site. I spent my time labouring in a long trench revealing the profile of a Roman defensive ditch. A the end of the dig we all went to an Indian Restaurant in Stirling for a buffet meal.

I then cycled home to Cheshire over 10 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment