Wednesday 12 January 2011

SRI LANKA Bicycle / Cricket Tour - 2001

I flew from Manchester to Colombo with Emirates Airways via Dubai in February 2001. The ticket cost £507. Sri Lanka had been a long standing objective. Coinciding with the England cricket tour heightened the interest and reduced possiblities of loneliness and boredom. The trip would last four weeks and take in the Test matches in Galle, Kandy and Colombo.
Idyllic beach scene on the coast between Colombo and Galle.
Galle, cricket stadium on the left.
Galle. Cricket stadium on left and the ramparts of the fort. I watched the test match for free from the overlooking walls of the town fort.
My lodging for Galle was a guest house 25 kms up the coast towards Colombo.
Galle cricket stadium.

On the cycle route from Galle to Kandy I was taking in for a day by a hospitable family when I was overcome by the extreme heat and humidity.
Dawes Galaxy, my bike for the trip.







Luxurious guest house on the road between Galle and Kandy. I stayed here for £6, haggled down from £12.




Kandy cricket stadium.

Kandy cricket stadium.

Kandy.
The score board at the Kandy test match. It may be difficult to believe but I was able to watch 5 days of Test Match Cricket for the sum of £2.50, the bargain of my life.


Entertainment at Kandy.
Kandy test match.




Bathing time at the elephant orphanage on the road to Colombo.

The coast at Negombo.



































No comments:

Post a Comment