I got back safely from South Africa and a trip in which I was tested almost to the limit. It was a tough trip and I think probably the toughest Ive done. I believe I was lucky to escape, I could so easily have been trapped if my passport and all my money had been stolen in Kokstad. The robbers left me with enough resources which they did not find to enable me to make my way to Cape Town, 1000 miles away.
There were one or two good points:
1. Reaching Befole primary school after a persistent hunt.
2. Crossing of Lesotho
3. Visit to Rorke's Drift battle site
4. Visiting the spot where WS Churchill was captured in the Boer War
5. Hitching hiking with the help various farmers and such.
6. Improved understanding of geography and culture in South Africa
Stolen items in robbery:
Credit and Debit card
European Health Insurance card
BMC Membership card
Short wave radio
Machete and Masai scabbard
Important items left to me:
Bus ticket Kokstad to Port Elizabeth - Thanks to the bus conductor I was able to travel thro to Cape Town with only this ticket.
Small stash of sterling and euros - I found one bank in Kokstad which did currency exchange on a Saturday.
Key to bicycle lock - If the key had gone my bike would have been useless.
Since getting home I have been trying to reinstate the stolen items back into my kit. Also reassessing and evaluating objectives. Hopefully I can take away some lessons for the future.