Tuesday 15 January 2013

LESOTHO EXPLORATION EXPEDITION

Hello,

My trip to South Africa and hopefully Lesotho is near.  I set off on Friday afternoon.  Flying with the excellent Emirates to Durban via Dubai.  Take off time from Manchester is 8:15 pm.  There are 3 hours of waiting in Dubai airport.  Not a bad thing.  Dubai airport has everything, including free internet access point.  I will reach Durban at 5 pm on Saturday.  It will take a couple of hours of flaffing at the airport, rigging the bike up and such.  I hope to be able to buy a sim card before leaving the airport to try and find a camp spot.  I will be taking my gortex bivi-bag, so it could be a rough camp.  Somewhere sheltered and away from view.

Day one (Sunday), I will begin moving north with the ultimate objective of Rorke's Drift.  Not sure how far it is but I may need to get a lift if the going is too slow.  Another battle site I hope to visit is Isandlwana, which is about 15km from Rorke's Drift.

The prize of this expedition is to enter Lesotho and cross that country.  Sometimes when you read about Lesotho it is like contemplating something out of King Solomon's mines.  Will see.

Best Regards

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment